The Union for Contemporary Art is committed to strengthening the creative culture of the greater Omaha area by providing direct support to local artists and increasing the visibility of contemporary art forms in our community of north Omaha. In every endeavor, we strive to inspire positive social change. The organization was founded on the belief that the arts can be a vehicle for social justice and greater civic engagement.
POSITION Communications Manager
COMMITMENT Full-time position, 40 hours/week. Some evening hours may be required
COMPENSATION Salary and benefit information available upon request
OVERVIEW The Union for Contemporary Art seeks a passionate and self-motivated individual to develop and facilitate a communications and public relations strategy for our organization. This team member will manage online, press, newsletter and social media marketing and communications at The Union. The Communications Manager assists in planning, updating and writing: the agency web site, newsletters, direct mail appeals, press releases, social networking, advertising and other media opportunities. This hire will also be responsible for strengthening The Union’s relationship with residents and stakeholders in north Omaha through active engagement with our neighbors and community partners. This position requires an organized, resourceful, multi-tasker with the ability to work in a team oriented environment.
- Bachelor’s Degree required, Journalism, Communications or Marketing preferred
- Minimum of two years of experience in marketing and communications for a non-profit organization
- Understanding of fundamental marketing principles and practices, including written communications, social media and working with the press
- Exceptional interpersonal, analytical, oral, and written communication skills; the ability to work independently and with teams; and the ability to work effectively with the public
- Ability to proactively prioritize, manage time, and meet deadlines while juggling multiple duties and tasks
- Excellent project management skills, accuracy, timeliness and attention to detail are essential
- Sincere commitment to work collaboratively with all constituent groups, including staff, board members, volunteers, donors, program participants, community members and other supporters
- An interest in the arts with a basic understanding of various genres and processes is highly preferred
ESSENTIAL JOB RESPONSIBILITIES
- Develop, implement, and evaluate an annual communications plan for the organization
- Work with staff to manage the development, distribution, and maintenance of all print and electronic collateral including, but not limited to, newsletters, brochures, online and print appeals, etc.
- Oversee the website design, coordination and maintenance in order to keep the website fresh and relevant. Ensure that new and consistent information is posted on the website in a timely manner
- Manage social media activity and strategy, including content development, scheduling and publication
- Write press releases, media advisories, press sheets, develop pitches and other written press materials
- Organize photo libraries and digital content, and help to maintain and update media contacts
- Assist with content development for fundraising purposes, and evaluation of effectiveness with an eye to improving response rates
- Serve as an actively engaged liaison between the organization and the north Omaha community, helping to strengthen our relationship with residents and develop new community partnerships
- Knowledge of MailChimp, Microsoft Office, Adobe Creative Suite, Squarespace, Salesforce, Google Docs, Facebook, Twitter, Instagram and YouTube
TO APPLY Please send one-page cover letter summarizing your qualifications, your writing samples, a resume or CV, and contact information for three references to Brigitte McQueen Shew at email@example.com. Send mailed applications to The Union for Contemporary Art, 2417 Burdette Street, Omaha, Nebraska 68111.
Thank you for your interest in employment opportunities at The Union. Please be advised that we are only able to contact those candidates whose skills and background best fit the needs of the open position.
The Union for Contemporary Art is an equal opportunity employer. We do not to discriminate against any employee or applicant for employment because of age, race, religion, color, handicap, gender, physical condition, developmental disability, sexual orientation or national origin. Period.