The Union for Contemporary Art is committed to strengthening the creative culture of the greater Omaha area by providing direct support to local artists and increasing the visibility of contemporary art forms in our community of north Omaha. In every endeavor, we strive to inspire positive social change. The organization was founded on the belief that the arts can be a vehicle for social justice and greater civic engagement.
POSITION Facilities Manager
COMMITMENT Hourly, part-time position, 20 to 30 hours/week. Hours vary and will be dictated by the needs of the organization and program schedule. Occasional evenings and Saturday hours may be necessary, as well as some in-town travel.
COMPENSATION Information available upon request
OVERVIEW The Union for Contemporary Art seeks a highly motivated, experienced, and detail-oriented person to serve as the Facilities Manager for our new 16,000 sq. ft. building. This position will be responsible for the installation of exhibitions in our 1,700 sq. ft. gallery, and will assist with the planning, preparation, shipping, and maintenance of artworks. The Facilities Manager will also assist with the production of performances in our black box theater, which may include some set building and assistance with lighting and/or sound. Additional responsibilities include general building and grounds maintenance, and assistance with our community garden during the summer.
ESSENTIAL JOB RESPONSIBILITIES
- Responsible for installing and de-installing exhibitions
- Make repairs to the gallery between exhibitions, including drywall repair and painting
- Maintain a clean and safe gallery space for the public, daily
- Coordinate the secure packing/unpacking and shipping/delivery of artwork
- Inspect artwork upon arrival to facility, create condition reports, and maintain organized records of this process
- Organization and maintenance of art storage area
- Assist with the pre- and post-production needs of theater performances
- Perform general maintenance duties, as needed, for the building and grounds
- Assist with the preparation and set-up for a variety of programs and projects throughout the building and occasionally off-site
- Assist with the maintenance of community garden and the facilitation of its programs
KNOWLEDGE AND EXPERIENCE
- Minimum of two years experience installing artwork of various mediums at a gallery or museum
- Working knowledge of safe and proper art handling, crating, and installation methods suitable to a wide range of media
- Knowledge of art storage and display methods, techniques, and procedures
- Basic carpentry skills including woodworking, drywall repair and painting are required
- Must demonstrate enthusiasm, flexibility, and creativity
- Extreme attention to detail is required, as well as the ability to manage multiple tasks successfully, prioritize work, and organize time
- General knowledge of various art disciplines
- Excellent interpersonal, analytical, oral, and written communication skills; the ability to work independently and with teams; and the ability to work effectively with the public
- Degree in arts or related field preferred, but open to qualified applicants from diverse educational backgrounds
- Position requires physical exertion, such as lifting, moving and installing various forms of artwork (2D and 3D)
TO APPLY Please send one-page cover letter summarizing experience, a resume or CV, and contact information for three references to Paige Reitz at email@example.com. Send mailed applications to The Union for Contemporary Art, 2417 Burdette Street, Omaha, Nebraska 68111. PLEASE NOTE \\ deadline to apply is November 11, 2016
Thank you for your interest in employment opportunities at The Union. Please be advised that we are only able to contact those candidates whose skills and background best fit the needs of the open position.
The Union for Contemporary Art is an equal opportunity employer. We do not to discriminate against any employee or applicant for employment because of age, race, religion, color, handicap, gender, physical condition, developmental disability, sexual orientation or national origin. Period.