The Union for Contemporary Art is committed to strengthening the creative culture of the greater Omaha area by providing direct support to local artists and increasing the visibility of contemporary art forms in our community of north Omaha. In every endeavor, we strive to inspire positive social change. The organization was founded on the belief that the arts can be a vehicle for social justice and greater civic engagement.
POSITION Youth Engagement Manager
COMMITMENT Full-time position, 40 hours/week. Hours will be dictated by the needs of the program. Must be available weekday evenings and Saturdays. Some in-town travel may be necessary.
COMPENSATION Salary and benefit information is available upon request
OVERVIEW In January 2017, The Union for Contemporary Art will be opening a new facility in north Omaha, which includes a 3,000 sq. ft. of studio space dedicated to serving youth in the community. We are seeking a passionate and self-motivated individual to develop and implement programs that connect youth living in north Omaha to the arts. Responsible for fostering a welcoming environment where youth can flourish creatively, this team member manages all aspects of youth engagement classes (including after school and Saturday workshops) ; assists with curriculum development; manages our youth studios; oversees program evaluations; and collaborates with other staff to develop teaching artist training. Ideal applicants are enthusiastic about establishing an enriching environment, and understand how economic differences impact youth and families across diverse populations. This is primarily an administrative position, not a teaching position.
- Bachelor's degree in art education or arts related field
- At least three years experience directly working with youth
- Two to three years of nonprofit administrative experience; management level preferred
- Demonstrated ability to engage in critical arts discourse
- Excellent interpersonal, analytical, and written communication skills
- Comfortable speaking and working with intimate or large groups
- Experience working with low-income youth highly preferred
- Ability to work independently and collectively
ESSENTIAL JOB RESPONSIBILITIES
- Develop, implement, and promote youth engagement programs
- Manage youth engagement classes and workshops, which includes scheduling teaching and guest artists, processing all program related paperwork (parent waivers, registration, time sheets, payments, etc), booking and facilitating field trips, and assisting with curriculum development
- Recruit and manage teaching artists, including their training, orientation, and performance assessment.
- Develop and maintain partnerships with arts and non-arts organizations, area schools, and universities.
- Foster respectful relationships with parents/guardians
- Create access points for families, which might include youth exhibitions, collaborative workshops or other events
- Set evaluation benchmarks for youth programs
- Assist with the creation of budgets and fundraising activities connected to our youth programs
- Manage the organization and stocking of supplies and equipment for youth classes.
TO APPLY Please send one-page cover letter summarizing your personal philosophy regarding arts education, a resume or CV, and contact information for three references to Paige Reitz at firstname.lastname@example.org. Send mailed applications to The Union for Contemporary Art, 2417 Burdette Street, Omaha, Nebraska 68111. PLEASE NOTE \\ deadline to apply is November 11, 2016
Please be advised that we are only able to contact those candidates whose skills and background best fit the needs of the open position. Thank you for your interest in employment opportunities at The Union.
The Union for Contemporary Art is an equal opportunity employer. We do not to discriminate against any employee or applicant for employment because of age, race, religion, color, handicap, gender, physical condition, developmental disability, sexual orientation or national origin. Period.