The Union for Contemporary Art is committed to strengthening the creative culture of the greater Omaha area by providing direct support to local artists and increasing the visibility of contemporary art forms in our community of north Omaha. In every endeavor, we strive to inspire positive social change. The organization was founded on the belief that the arts can be a vehicle for social justice and greater civic engagement.
POSITION Co-Op Studio Tech \\ Print
COMMITMENT Hourly, part-time position. Must be available at the following times: Tuesday through Thursday: 5PM to 10PM and Sunday from 12PM to 5PM.
COMPENSATION Information available upon request
OVERVIEW The Union for Contemporary Art seeks a highly motivated, experienced, and detail-oriented person to serve as the Print Tech for our Co-Op Studios. This position will be responsible for opening and closing the building during Co-Op hours, assisting artists with their work in the print shop, keeping the studios well-stocked and maintained and leading occasional workshops and classes.
ESSENTIAL JOB RESPONSIBILITIES
- Keep Co-Op Studios clean and well organized
- Lead workshops in specific Co-Op medium to artists, community members and youth
- Provide one-on-one instruction to Co-Op members
- Assist with the equipment maintenance, make sure it is being used properly, and report any and all maintenance issues
- Represent The Union to all Co-Op members and visitors by staying acquainted with programming and events
- Close and secure the building at end of night, as well as open the building on Sundays. This includes, but is not limited to checking in members, being aware of studio usage, processing supply purchases made by members and securing the building at close of business.
- Track supply inventory of expendable materials and report to manager when necessary to re-order
KNOWLEDGE AND EXPERIENCE
- A degree in printmaking or proven experience working within the genre and history of the art form
- Working knowledge of safe and proper usage of screen printing equipment and etching presses
- Knowledge of related chemicals and process for screen printing with photo emulsion
- Must demonstrate enthusiasm, flexibility, and creativity
- Extreme attention to detail is required, as well as the ability to manage multiple tasks successfully, prioritize work, and organize time
- General knowledge of various art disciplines
- Excellent interpersonal, analytical, oral, and written communication skills; the ability to work independently and with teams; and the ability to work effectively with the public
- Knowledge and familiarity with digital scanner and printer a plus
- Knowledge and familiarity with textile equipment (sewing machine + loom) a plus
- Knowledge, familiarity and safe use with hand and power tools a plus
- Position requires some physical exertion, such as lifting and moving equipment
TO APPLY Please send one-page cover letter summarizing experience, a resume or CV, and contact information for three references to Joey Lynch at email@example.com. Send mailed applications to The Union for Contemporary Art, 2423 North 24th Street | Omaha, Nebraska 68110
Thank you for your interest in employment opportunities at The Union. Please be advised that we are only able to contact those candidates whose skills and background best fit the needs of the open position.
The Union for Contemporary Art is an equal opportunity employer. We do not to discriminate against any employee or applicant for employment because of age, race, religion, color, handicap, gender, physical condition, developmental disability, sexual orientation or national origin. Period.