Art is a pathway to finding individual voice, which in turn can empower youth to be agents for change in their personal lives and communities. The Union provides North Omaha youth with access to creative experiences—ranging from visual and performing arts to urban agriculture and cooking—that instills them with valuable life skills. Our youth programs help lay the foundation for self-directed discovery and lifelong learning.
In our programs, we:
- Engage youth in multidisciplinary, hands-on, and project-based curricula
- Utilize teaching methodologies that privilege youth voices in the making of meaning and knowledge
- Assist youth in establishing short- and long-term relationships with artists, educators, or mentors
- Offer holistic learning experiences that simultaneously address a child’s creative, physical, emotional, relational, and intellectual well-being
- Encourage active civic engagement and community leadership
- Create a safe environment for youth to engage the arts and each other
Explore the arts with us this summer! Our summer exhibition Salon Time features the works of three contemporary artists, Sonya Clark, Nontsikelelo Mutiti, and Althea Murphy-Price, who examine and celebrate the ritual of time and space formed by craft and material cultures surrounding Black women's hair. Hair can be seen as a tool to communicate history, observe the present, and imagine the future. The artists in Salon Time use hair as a material and inspiration, noticing the connection between the intricate design and careful labor of both braiding and crafting artworks.
Our Art Club students will follow suit this summer experimenting with drawing, printing, and crafting with materials. Students will also learn photography, ceramics, screen printing, and fiber arts. We will be having fun in our Abundance Garden with Big Garden learning about seed to table gardening and the culinary arts.
Saturday Art Club | Ages 7-12*
Session I: June 9 - June 30, 2018
Session II: July 14 - August 4
10am–12:30pm, includes lunch
2:00pm–4:30pm, includes a healthy snack
Friday Teen Art Club | Ages 11-17*
Session I: June 8 - 29
Session II : July 13 - Aug 3
3:30pm–5:45pm, includes a healthy snack
* The Union provides this free program for youth living or attending school in 68104, 68110, 68111, and 68112 zip codes.
If you have any questions about our youth engagement programs or are an educator interested in bringing your class to The Union, please reach out to our Youth Engagement Manager Jade Rogers at email@example.com or (402) 933-3161.
Want to support our Youth Programs by providing access to great tools and materials? See our Supplies List and donate!
This program is made possible with the support of the Lincoln Financial Foundation
Summer 2017: Site Works sponsored by Nebraska Arts Council