Art can be a pathway to finding individual voice, which in turn can empower youth to be agents for change in their personal lives and communities. The Union aims to provide north Omaha youth with access to creative experiences—ranging from visual and performing arts to urban agriculture and cooking—that will instill them with valuable life skills. Our youth programs help lay the foundation for self-directed discovery and lifelong learning.
In our programs, we strive to:
- Engage youth in multidisciplinary, hands-on, and project-based curricula
- Utilize teaching methodologies that privilege youth voices in the making of meaning and knowledge
- Assist youth in establishing short- and long-term relationships with artists, educators, or mentors
- Offer holistic learning experiences that simultaneously address a child’s creative, physical, emotional, relational, and intellectual well-being
- Encourage active civic engagement and community leadership
- Create a safe environment for youth to engage the arts and each other
Art Club is a FREE weekly program open to children and youth residing in North Omaha*. Each week, youth work with artists and educators to explore different art mediums, concepts, and histories. Art Club members work in painting, photography, drawing, sculpture, performance, urban agriculture, and cooking. In addition to presenting exhibitions of their work throughout the year, Art Club members play an active role in maintaining The Union’s Abundance Garden Project, a community garden and food resource for North Omaha.
In January 2017, The Union will launch Art Club as arts after school program for youth attending select north Omaha schools. Please see below for information regarding our school partnerships and program times.
Jesuit Academy After School Art Club
February 14 - May 18, 2017
Tuesdays and Thursdays, 3:30-5:45pm, includes a healthy snack
To sign-up for our Jesuit Academy program waitlist: https://goo.gl/forms/57tuO4rcA9NeXNY62
Sacred Heart After School Art Club
January 25 - May 19, 2017
Wednesdays and Fridays, 3:15-5:45pm, includes a healthy snack
To sign-up for our Sacred Heart program waitlist: https://goo.gl/forms/bwwQsz2iy8ifTi4p1
Saturday Art Club
January 21 - May 20, 2017
Saturdays 10:30am-12:30pm, includes a healthy lunch
** SATURDAY ART CLUB IS CURRENTLY FULL
To sign-up for our Saturday program waitlist: https://goo.gl/forms/alPNmmgOCZo1lH383
If you have any questions about our youth engagement programs or are an educator interested in bringing your class to The Union, please reach out to our Youth Engagement Manager Jade Rogers at firstname.lastname@example.org or (402) 933-3161.
Want to support our Youth Programs by providing access to great tools and materials? See our Supplies List and donate!
* The Union provides this free program for youth living or attending school in 68104, 68110, 68111, and 68112 zip codes.
This program is made possible with the support of the Lincoln Financial Foundation