Art is a pathway to finding individual voice, which in turn can empower youth to be agents for change in their personal lives and communities. The Union provides North Omaha youth with access to creative experiences—ranging from visual and performing arts to urban agriculture and cooking—that instills them with valuable life skills. Our youth programs help lay the foundation for self-directed discovery and lifelong learning.
In our programs, we:
- Engage youth in multidisciplinary, hands-on, and project-based curricula
- Utilize teaching methodologies that privilege youth voices in the making of meaning and knowledge
- Assist youth in establishing short- and long-term relationships with artists, educators, or mentors
- Offer holistic learning experiences that simultaneously address a child’s creative, physical, emotional, relational, and intellectual well-being
- Encourage active civic engagement and community leadership
- Create a safe environment for youth to engage the arts and each other
Explore the arts with us this fall! Our Art Club students will gain insight into the arts and their communities through exhibitions in The Union's Wanda D. Ewing Gallery, and under the guidance of our talented teaching artist staff.
Beginning in the fall of 2018 and continuing through the school year into the spring of 2019, Art Club students will experiment in many mediums, including drawing, painting, photography, ceramics, screen printing, and fiber arts. As we move into the harvest season, we will be spending lots of time in our Abundance Garden. With our partners at The Big Garden, Art Club students will learn about seed to table gardening, the benefits of healthy eating, and the culinary arts.
Saturday Art Club | Ages 7-12*
September 8, 2018 - May 11, 2019
10am–12:30pm, includes lunch
2:00pm–4:30pm, includes a healthy snack
* The Union provides this free program for youth living or attending school in 68104, 68110, 68111, and 68112 zip codes.
Drop-In Art in the Co-Op
The Union Co-Op and Youth programs have joined together to offer Drop-In Art for kids ages 6–12 every Thursday evening from 6–7:30pm!
This program is designed to make our weekly Co-Op Studio workshops more accessible to parents/guardians. While you’re learning how to throw on the pottery wheel, or develop 35mm film in the darkroom, your kids are invited to work in the Youth studios under the guidance of members of our Youth program team.
When you arrive for your Thursday night Co-Op workshop, sign your kids in at the front desk. Sign in runs from 5:30–6. You must be registered for a 1.5-hour workshop during the first session (6–7:30). After your class, come back to the front desk for sign out.
Check out u-ca.eventbrite.com for a full schedule of upcoming Co-Op workshops!
If you have any questions about our youth engagement programs or are an educator interested in bringing your class to The Union, please reach out to our Youth Engagement Manager Jade Rogers at firstname.lastname@example.org or (402) 933-3161.
Want to support our Youth Programs by providing access to great tools and materials? See our Supplies List and donate!
This program is made possible with the support of the Lincoln Financial Foundation
Summer 2017: Site Works sponsored by Nebraska Arts Council